Tuesday 8 September 2020

Excerpts from "Autobiography of Swami Sivananda"

Autobiography of Swami Sivananda (An abridged version)

I was born to Srimati Parvati Ammal and P.S. Vengu Iyer, as their third son, on Thursday the 8th September, 1887, at the time of sunrise, when the Star Bharani was in ascendance. My father Sri P.S. Vengu Iyer of Pattamadai, was descended from Sri Appaya Dikshitar.  I passed the Madurai Tamil Sangam examination creditably. I chose the medical career and ran a Medical Journal, Ambrosia, at Trichinopoly, for three years. I was very ambitious and enthusiastic. 

I was planning to go to Malaya (Malaysia). I left Madras by S.S. “Tara.”. I served in the Estate Hospital near Seremban as a doctor for nearly seven years, after which I joined the Johore Medical Office, Ltd. I served in Johore for three years. There was not a single available English medical book at that time that I had not read and digested. In addition to all this I would help my assistants too and train them for sometime daily, and then send them to other hospitals with a recommendation letter, providing from my pocket their railway fare as well as some emergency money. Soon I became well-known in Seremban and Johore Bahru.

Is there not a higher mission in life than the daily round of official duties, eating and drinking? Is there not any higher form of eternal happiness than these transitory and illusory pleasures? How uncertain is life here? How insecure is existence on this earth-plane, with various kinds of diseases, anxieties, worries, fear and disappointments! In 1923, I renounced the life of ease and money-making and took to the life of a mendicant, a true seeker after Truth.

From Singapore, I reached Banaras and had Darshan of Lord Siva. Then I proceeded to Nasik, Poona and other important religious centres. From Poona I walked to Pandarpore, a distance of seventy miles. On my way I stayed for a couple of days in the Ashram of Yogi Narayan Maharaj at Khedgaon. Then I spent some four months in Dhalaj on the banks of Chandrabhaga. During my incessant travels, I learnt how to adjust and adapt myself to various types of people.

I came to Rishikesh in June 1924 and found it my destination. My Guru Swami Viswananda Saraswati Maharaj gave me initiation and enough spiritual strength and blessings. I found Rishikesh an ideal place for intense and undisturbed spiritual practices true for all seekers after Truth. A deep study of the ways of Mahatmas living in Rishikesh opened my eyes and gave me strength to stick to rigorous Sadhana in the right direction. I felt the Grace of the Lord. I derived strength and guidance from within. I found ways for an all-round development. I had the goal of my life as Self-realisation and determined to spend every bit of my energy and time in study, service and Sadhana.

For maintaining a high standard of health, I practised Asanas, Pranayamas, Mudras and Bandhas. I used to go out for long brisk walks in the evenings. I combined physical exercises such as Dand and Bhaitak also. I paid special attention to simple living, high thinking, light food, deep study, silent meditation and regular prayers. I loved seclusion and observed Mauna. I did not like company and futile talk. From the Ram Ashram Library in Muni-ki-reti I used to get some books for my study and devoted some time to study every day. With a view to devoting more time to prayer and meditation, I moved to the Swargashram. I lived in a small Kutir, 8 feet by 10 feet, with a small verandah in front, and depended on the Kali Kambliwala Kshetra for my food.

I visited Kedarnath and Badrinath, Tunganath and Triyuginath. Swami Balananda, Swami Vidyasagar accompanied me. I had a dip in the hot-water springs at Badri Narayan. Throughout my travel I sang Kirtan and Bhajan and did mental Japa. By a steam-boat at Calcutta, I reached Ganga Sagar—the confluence of Ganga with Bay of Bengal. Srimati Maharani Surat Kumari Devi also was with me. There is a small temple of Kapila Muni at the sacred Ganga Sagar. I had a bath in the sea. There was a Mela (fair). I helped the pilgrims in getting up the ladder. In the early years of my Sadhana at Rishikesh, I decided to see Kailas. Mount Kailas is in Western Tibet. On the 12th June, 1931, I started on a pilgrimage to that sacred place. There is no place on all this fair earth which can be compared with Kailas for the marvellous beauty of the everlasting snows. Of all Yatras, the Kailas trip is the most difficult. It is called Mount Meru—the axis of Mountains

Systematically to carry on the Divine Mission on a large scale, I established the DIVINE LIFE TRUST SOCIETY in 1936 and registered the Trust Deed at Ambala. In 1936 when I was returning from Lahore after presiding over a Kirtan Conference, I just thought of a Trust Society and alighted at Ambala and consulted an Advocate and prepared the Trust deed. Then the Divine Life Society was established for the dissemination of spiritual knowledge throughout the world and subsequently about 300 Branches were opened in all important cities. Thousands of students received initiation from me into the order of Sannyasa. So long as they undergo training they stay with me and work. Advanced students start their own Mission in big cities or have their own Sadhana in the Himalayan caves.

On the 9th September, 1950, I started on a dynamic Mission of Dissemination of Knowledge, undertaking an extensive tour all over India and Ceylon for a period of two months. I returned to Rishikesh on the 7th November, 1950. I visited all the important cities, towns and villages all over India. I addressed public meetings and conducted Kirtans. I delivered speeches in many Schools, Colleges and Universities on ethical culture and Real Education and addressed numerous public meetings on general spiritual topics. Several thousands of rupees worth of valuable books were distributed free of cost to the public during this historic event—the All-India-Ceylon Tour.

Many foreigners come to the Ashram and spend some weeks or months and admire the wonderful work turned out at the Ashram. The inhabitants of Shivanandanagar, young and old, men and women, enjoy the peace and bliss of this Holy Centre and help the world in a variety of ways. They all receive my careful, personal attention. I provide them with all comforts and conveniences and help them in their evolution. The Sivananda Hospital is a blessing to the Mahatmas, Yogins, pilgrims and the poor people of the neighbouring villages. Experienced doctors in different systems of medicine attend to the Hospital work. The General Hospital is equipped with modern apparatus like X-Ray, Diathermy and a High Frequency Apparatus for E.N.T. and eye cases.

Young aspirants, because of old habit, used to sleep in the winter cold till sunrise or till 6 or 7 in the morning. They must not waste their precious life in sleeping in the Brahmamuhurta, between 4 and 6 in the early morning. That period is highly favourable for deep meditation. The atmosphere also is charged with Sattvic vibrations. Without much effort one can have wonderful concentration at this period.

From my Kutir, I used to chant aloud several times the Mantras: “OM OM OM, SHYAM SHYAM SHYAM, RADHESHYAM RADHESHYAM RADHESHYAM” and thus made my students get up early for prayers and meditation. This had no effect on the Tamasic type of aspirants. I arranged their night meals before sunset. That enabled some to get up early morning. It is only those who load the stomach heavily at night that find it difficult to get up early in the morning.

In the beginning stages of Sadhana, even if people meditate alone in a room, they get up in the morning only to see that they were overpowered by sleep, and sleep the whole period in a sitting posture. This gave me an idea of a common prayer and meditation during Brahmamuhurta. One student would ring the bell in front of every Kutir and collect the aspirants in a common place for the collective Sadhana. I joined the group daily for some months and years.

I love seclusion. I have to hide myself at times. I do not crave for name and fame. I did not spend much time in a deep study of all the scriptures and religions of the world, for preparing thrilling lectures. I never liked to spend time in writing fine essays for publication through books or newspapers. I was not pleased when people called me: “Mahatma, Guru Maharaj.” I never planned for any Institution to perpetuate my name. But the Divine Will was different. The whole world came to me with all divine glory and splendour. That may be due to the intense prayers of thousands of sincere seekers after Truth coupled with my own inborn tendencies to share with others what I have and to serve the world on a large scale on the right lines, for the attainment of Light, Peace, Knowledge and Power.

I was induced to start the Divine Life Society when I found some facility and useful hands to carry on the work. I carried the Message of the Sages and Saints and taught the world the way for Peace and Bliss. Because of the popularity of the Divine Life Society, many learned and pious souls from far off lands have come to see me and, sharing with me the love for selfless service, are doing valuable work in spreading right knowledge, which alone can confer lasting peace and happiness. Many foreign Branches of the Divine Life Society are reprinting parts of my writings and distributing them free in their respective regions.

The Yoga Vedanta Forest University came into existence when regular classes began to be conducted on all Branches of Yoga. To help the students all over the world, the University Press was established for printing necessary works on the practical side and half a dozen periodicals, with a number of machines to do the work automatically. Now the Ashram, a very big Spiritual Colony, looks like a huge factory with the wonderful, indescribable Peace of the Himalayas. 

No doubt it is difficult for young women to get on in the Sannyasa line. They do not have the same liberty and freedom as men. Men can live and move about in any way and sleep anywhere. They can go from door to door for alms and maintain themselves. But women are greatly at a disadvantage and suffer thereby. It is a pity that there are not many ideal institutions in India exclusively for women where they can live peacefully, serve the world and evolve. Ideal institutions with all comforts and conveniences for women, who are spiritually-inclined, are a great need of the hour. For ages, this important work has been neglected.

I never thought of starting an Ashram. When the great rush of students and devotees came to me for spiritual guidance, with a view to render help to them and to make them useful to the world, I created some fields of activities for their evolution and for public good, encouraged them much in their studies and their Sadhana, and arranged necessary comforts and conveniences for their boarding and lodging, using the donations I received from some admirers for my personal use. Thus, in course of time, I found around me a huge Ashram and an Ideal Institution with congenial environment—a big Spiritual Colony—SHIVANANDA NAGAR. I did not work with big plans or schemes. I did not approach any great person or Maharajah for getting money. The world appreciated the service done here on right lines. A little help came from the divine source and I carefully utilised every cent of it for bringing maximum spiritual good to the world. 

I am not restrictive about my publications. Any good matter must be shared with the readers at once for their prompt spiritual benefit. I do not want my readers to wait until a new publication is ready. Hence, if any new ideas crop up, I at once add them in the latest work under print even though they may not have a direct connection with the subject-matter of the book. Nor do I wish that valuable time should be wasted in carefully scrutinising every word.

No attachment to copyright. I do not expect any royalty from publishers. For dynamic work, I ask all the publishers to bring out several editions of my books in different languages. I do not demand anything from publishers as remuneration to the author. Let them give the royalty or not, I permit any number of publishers to come forward to print my books for wide circulation throughout the world.

Way to Success:

Whenever I take up any work, 
I finish it at any cost. 
Whenever I start writing a book, 
I complete it somehow or other. 
Whenever I take up a book for study, 
I complete it before taking up another work. 
I never leave anything half done. 
I concentrate on the subject and 
Think intensely without distraction. 
I am firm, steadfast and steady. 
I have intense application to work. 
I have tenacity and intensity of purpose.

My view of Goondas:

Good people are already virtuous 
I will have to correct and mould Goondas only. 
This is my special work. 
Goonda is a negatively virtuous man. 
He exists to glorify the virtuous. 
Goonda also is Lord Krishna. 
Lord Krishna says in the Gita: 
‘Dyutam chhalayatamasmi— 
I am the gambling of the cheat.’ 
Rudri says: ‘Taskaranam pataye namah— 
Prostrations the Lord of thieves,’ 
I keep in the Ashram all sorts of students. 
The world calls me a Guru for thieves and rogues. 
Glory to the Divine Mission. 
The spiritual vibrations of this Holy Centre 
Convert them as Divine Beings, Yogis and Saints!

Ideal Teacher:

I am ever a thirsting student 
I am not a teacher 
But God has made me a teacher 
The students have made me a teacher. 
I make my students soon as teachers 
I am such a teacher. 
I treat them in respectable terms as 
‘Maharaj’, ‘Swamiji’, ‘Bhagawan’, ‘Narayan’, 
I treat them as my equals 
I give them equal seats 
I am such a teacher. 
I allow them to learn from my own life 
I make them Mahants and servants of humanity 
Presidents, lecturers, writers, Swamis and Yogis 
Founders of spiritual institutions, poets, journalists, 
Propagandists, divine scavengers, health and Yoga Culturists, 
Typists, Yoga-kings, Atma-Samrats, 
Karma Yogi Veeras, Bhakti Bhushans, Sadhana Ratnas 
I am such a teacher to all Seekers after Truth.

Come, Come, My Friends:

My Call is irresistible, 
It has transformed countless lives. 
Do not waste this precious life 
In playing cards and idle gossiping 
Give up hot debates and arguing 
Destroy all pleasure centres 
Abandon the desire for comfort 
Set fire to the fuel of lust. 
Destroy the fortress of egoism 
Be quick, Be quick, friends! 
Sing the Lord’s Name day and night 
Now take a plunge in the Ocean of Bliss 
And enter the illimitable domain of the Atma within. 
Come, come, my friends, take the plunge, be quick 
Tarry not, delay not—enjoy the Wisdom Bliss. 

Fear dominates in this era of nuclear weapons of mass destruction. Hatred rules the policies of vast sections of the so-called enlightened and civilised mankind. This age of advancement has been exposed to be in reality an age of degeneracy in the views and values, the ideals and morals of the greater masses of mankind. At this juncture, cultured men and women all over the world look to the sacred land, India, for light and knowledge. It is your noble task to spread this light of spiritual knowledge and spiritual Idealism to all corners of the globe.

Let the clarion call of the Upanishads ring through every village, town and city. Let the glorious chant of divine Name fill all quarters. Let virtue be implanted in every heart and Dharma and the good life be seen in every walk of life. Divine Life must be practical. Ideals of Divine Life must shoot up into practical realisation. Divine Life must be made vigorously manifest in the lives of the people. This is important. Be sincere. Work with concord. Be adaptable. Adjust, adapt and accommodate. Remember always that work is the important thing, not personal views and individual opinions. Therefore dissolve all differences and work together for the cause of a pure life and spiritual perfection.

I AM THAT I AM :

Timeless and spaceless is this goal 
Painless and sorrowless is this seat 
Blissful and peaceful is this Abode 
Changeless and boundless is this Dhama 
I know that “I am He” 
I have neither body, mind nor senses 
I have neither change, nor growth nor death 
I am the Immortal, All-pervading Brahman. 
Neither virtue nor sin can touch me 
Neither pleasure nor pain can affect me 
Neither likes and dislikes can taint me 
I am Existence-Absolute, Knowledge-Absolute and Bliss-Absolute. 
I have neither friends nor enemies 
I have neither parents nor relatives 
I have neither home nor country 
I am that I am. I am that I am. 
I am never born, I never die 
I always exist, I am everywhere, 
I have neither fear of death nor fear of public criticism 
I am Siva, full of Bliss and Knowledge 
Chidananda-rupah Sivoham, Sivoham.

~ H H Sri Swami Sivananda
 Excerpts from "Autobiography of Swami Sivananda"

No comments:

Post a Comment

अफजल खां का वध

20 नवम्बर, 1659 ई. - अफजल खां का वध :- बीजापुर की तरफ से अफजल खां को छत्रपति शिवाजी महाराज के खिलाफ भेजा गया। अफजल खां 10 हज़ार क...