Wednesday 25 October 2017

Servant of the Divine Mother

Narendra did not believe in God with form, so at first he rejected Kali. Regarding this concept, he struggled for several years with his guru Sri Ramakrishna. But the Master told him: “You will be a servant of the Divine Mother”. And finally, he dedicated Narendra to Mother Kali. One day many years later, Vivekananda discussed this with his Irish disciple, Sister Nivedita. She asked: “In the future, you say, many will call Ramakrishna Paramahamsa an Incarnation of Kali?” Swamiji replied: “Yes, I think there’s no doubt that She worked up the body of Ramakrishna for Her own ends”.

One midnight in Dakshineswar the Master was walking in an ecstatic mood. As Golap-ma watched him, she saw Kali walking in his place. She was overwhelmed and it gave her goose bumps.

Once Swami Brahmananda described the following incident:

“I was then living on Baranasi Ghosh Street in Calcutta and visiting the Master regularly. One day I went to Dakshineswar in the early afternoon. The Kali temple was closed and the Master was resting after lunch. As soon as I entered his room, he asked me to sit on his bed. He talked for a while and then asked me to massage his feet. I replied: “Sir, excuse me. I can’t do that. You were telling me wonderful stories; please continue”. Regardless, he asked again: “Look, give me a little massage. You will benefit by serving a holy man”. After he had asked me to do this two or three times, I finally touched his feet. Suddenly something miraculous happened that left me dumbfounded. I saw with my open eyes that Mother Kali quickly entered the room in the form of a young girl, seven or eight years old. She encircled the Master’s bed a few times, Her anklets making jingling sounds. Then She merged into the Master’s body. The Master smiled a little and then said: “You see, you have instantly received the result of serving a holy man”. …

When Sri Ramakrishna was gravely ill at the Cossipore garden house, the Holy Mother was stricken with grief. One day, in a vision, a girl with long black hair and a dark complexion appeared and sat near her. Realizing that it was Mother Kali, she exclaimed: “Oh, you have come!”
Mother Kali: “Yes, I have come from Dakshineswar”.
After further conversation, the Holy Mother observed that the girl bent her neck to one side. She asked: “What has happened to your neck”.
Mother Kali: “Well, I have a sore throat”.
The Holy Mother: “My goodness! The Master has a sore throat and you also have it?”
Mother Kali: “That is true”.
Thus, the Holy Mother was made to understand that the Divine Mother and Sri Ramakrishna were one and the same.
When Sri Ramakrishna passed away, the Holy Mother cried out, saying: “0 Mother Kali, where have you gone, leaving us behind?”

(Swami Chetanananda “How to Live With God: In the Company of Ramakrishna”, Advaita Ashrama 2008, Ch. 1 “Various Forms of Ramakrishna”, “Ramakrishna as Kali”, pp. 24-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment

अफजल खां का वध

20 नवम्बर, 1659 ई. - अफजल खां का वध :- बीजापुर की तरफ से अफजल खां को छत्रपति शिवाजी महाराज के खिलाफ भेजा गया। अफजल खां 10 हज़ार क...