Wednesday 8 June 2022

Shiva and Shakti

One Tuesday evening, that I spent with Mother after Saraswati Puja, will remain forever etched in my memory. When I went to the rear entrance quarter to meet Mother that evening, I found her already seated there. She did not notice my presence. Having misgivings, I stood apart silently and waited to see how long it would take her to notice me and speak to me. As I observed her closely, I noticed that though She was seated with her legs stretched out before her due to rheumatism, her body was held erect. Her eyes were open but unseeing. I did not disturb her and stood waiting quietly, drinking in the expression on that face with a steadfast gaze. After ten or fifteen minutes she spoke. She said: “How long have you been here?” I said: “Not very long. How long ago did you come here, Mother?” “I don't like being cooped up indoors. So when others went to rest in the afternoon, I came out to be by myself, in the solitude”, - she said. It struck me that this was just why in Kolkata, whether in the rented houses or even in her own house, she would sometimes go up to the roof and sit there alone. 

Mother continued to speak. The manner, in which she spoke I shall not try to describe for my judgement may be faulty. What conception do we have of such souls? I’m only repeating her words. She said: “This coming again and again is there no escape from it? Where there is Shiva, there is also Shakti - Shiva, Shakti, together. Time and again the same Shiva, the same Shakti. No escape. People still fail to realize what pain Master undergoes for their sake. Such arduous austerities! What’s the need for them? Even then austerities, only for the sake of people. Are the people themselves capable of it? Do they have that energy, that strength? That’s why Master has to do it all. There’s a song they sing at Kankurgachhi, do you know it?” 

I asked: “Which song, Mother?” 

Mother: “”The Master of the destitutes has come, for the sake of the destitutes”. My sons are truly destitute. Once they call out “Mother”, can one remain unmoved? At once Master has to come”. 

I asked: “Was this same Master manifested in Chaitanyadeva too?” 

Mother: “Yes, yes! This same Master, over and over again. The same moon everyday. There is no escape. He is committed. They are all His creatures. If He does not take care of them, who will? He has promised “whenever you call me, I shall come to you”. Keep this in mind, don’t forget. You just have to call Him to come - after all He is the Kalpataru (the wish-fulfilling tree)!” 

I said: “I know only my Mother”. 

Mother replied: “It is the Master, who taught the word “Mother”. Was it in use before? His creation - He procreates and He devours. What does “devour” signify? It signifies Liberation. It is his recreation, his play!” 

Ashutosh Mitra
(“Reminiscences of Sri Sarada Devi by Monastics, Devotees, and Others” compiled and edited by Swami Purnatmananda, Advaita Ashrama 2007, Ashutosh Mitra, pp. 220-1)

No comments:

Post a Comment

अफजल खां का वध

20 नवम्बर, 1659 ई. - अफजल खां का वध :- बीजापुर की तरफ से अफजल खां को छत्रपति शिवाजी महाराज के खिलाफ भेजा गया। अफजल खां 10 हज़ार क...