Saturday 9 April 2022

How to live in a family?

How to live in a family?
Mother used to say: “Whatever you may do, you have, as a matter of fact, to give everybody due attention and consult his (or her) opinion. You have to grant a little freedom and watch from a distance so that nothing may go very wrong. Thus, for instance, while I am sending these presents to Radhu’s house, I take counsel from Nalini also. The relation between her and my youngest sister-in-law is that of the snake and the mongoose – the one does not see anything good in the other; and the other does not so much as tread on former’s shadow. But when I make Nalini my guide and say: “See, Nalini, what things you would like to send to Radhu’s house? Select from these and tell me”, then she says with regard to the list I make: “How can these things suffice, aunt? Howsoever they may deal with you – and as for Radhu, she is as good as mad, having no sense at all – you have surely some dignity; why should you be so illiberal? You do just as it befits you”. She speaks thus and makes the list longer. I, too, laugh inwardly. If I should send the present there without letting her know, the two will at once begin to fight a battle of Kurukshetra over the matter. Mind you, one has to give some freedom to each and lower oneself a little. When dealing with these conceited persons, I have to study their moods and move very cautiously; and yet they fall out now and then – as though it’s their nature! How can I help that?! I think to myself: “It’s His world, He is taking care of it”.

(“Photographs of Sri Ramakrishna – Sarada Devi”, RKMath Chennai, p. 86)

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE LAST DAYS OF MRINALINI DEVI AND SRI AUROBINDO’S LETTER TO HIS FATHER-IN-LAW

THE LAST DAYS OF MRINALINI DEVI AND SRI AUROBINDO’S LETTER TO HIS FATHER-IN-LAW This is the last of the posts we have published ...