Wednesday 27 April 2022

THE TWO KINDS OF EGO


"I said to Keshab Sen that he would not be able to realize God without renouncing the ego. He said, 'Sir, in that case I  should  not  be  able  to  keep  my  organization  together.'  Thereupon  I  said  to  him:  'I  am  asking  you  to give up the "unripe ego", the "wicked ego". But there is no harm in the "ripe ego", the "child ego", the "servant  ego",  the  "ego  of  Knowledge".' "The worldly man's ego, the 'ignorant ego', the 'unripe ego', is like a thick stick. It divides, as it were, the water of the Ocean of Satchidananda. But the 'servant ego', the 'child ego', the 'ego of Knowledge', is like a line on the  water.  One clearly  sees that  there is  only  one  expanse  of water. The dividing line makes it appear that  the  water  has  two  parts,  but  one  clearly  sees  that  in  reality  there  is  only  one  expanse  of  water. "Sankaracharya kept the 'ego of Knowledge' in order to teach  people.  God  keeps  in  many  people  the  'ego  of  a Jnāni' or the 'ego of a bhakta' even after they have attained Brahmajnana. Hanuman, after realizing God in both His Personal and His Impersonal aspect, cherished toward God the attitude of a servant, a devotee.
He said  to  Rāma:  'O  Rāma, sometimes I think that You are the whole and  I  am  a  part  of  You.  Sometimes  I  think that You are the Master and I am Your servant. And sometimes, Rāma, when I contemplate the Absolute, I see  that  I  am  You  and  You  are  I.'
"Yaśoda became grief-stricken at being separated from Krishna, and called on Radha. Radha saw Yaśoda's suffering and revealed herself to her as the divine Śakti, which was her real nature.
 She said to Yaśoda: 'Krishna  is  Chidatma,  Absolute  Consciousness,  and  I  am  ChitŚakti, the Primal  Power.  Ask  a  boon  of  Me:  Yaśoda said: 'I don't want Brahmajnana. Please grant me only this: that I may see the form of Gopala in my meditation; that  I  may  always  have  the  company  of  Krishna's  devotees;  that  I  may  always  serve  the  devotees of  God;  that  I  may  always  chant  God's  name  and  glories.' "Once the gopis felt a great desire to  see  the  forms  of  the  Lord.  So  Krishna  asked  them  to  dive  into  the  water of the Jamuna. No  sooner  did they  dive into the water  than they all arrived at Vaikuntha. There they saw the form  of the Lord  endowed  with His  six celestial splendours.  But they did not like it.
They said to Krishna: 'We want  to  see  Gopala  and  serve  Him.  Please  grant  us that  boon  alone.  We  don't  want  anything  else.' "Before His departure for Mathura, Krishna wanted  to  give  the  Knowledge  of  Brahman  to  the  gopis.
 He  said  to them:  'I dwell both  inside  and outside all beings.  Why  should you see  only one form of Mine?' The gopis cried in  chorus:  'O  Krishna,  do  You  want  to  go  away  from  us?  Is  that  why  You  are  instructing  us in  Brahmajnana?' "Do  you  know  the  attitude  of  the  gopis?  It  is  this:  'We  are  Radha's  and  Radha  is  ours.'  
" A  DEVOTEE:  "Does  this  'I'  of  the  devotee  never  disappear  altogether?"
MASTER: "Yes, it disappears at times. Then one attains the Knowledge of Brahman and goes into samādhi. I too  lose  it,  but  not  for  all  the  time.  In  the  musical  scale  there  are  seven  notes:  sa,  re,  ga,  ma,  pa,  dha,  and  ni. But  one  cannot keep one's  voice  on 'ni' a long time. One  must  bring it down again  to the lower notes. I pray to the Divine Mother, 'Mother, do not give  me  Brahmajnana.'  Formerly  believers  in  God with  form  used  to  visit me a great deal. Then the modern Brahmajnanis began to arrive. During that period I used to remain unconscious in samādhi most of the time. Whenever I regained consciousness, I would say to the Divine Mother,  'O  Mother,  please  don't  give  me  Brahmajnana.'"

THE GOSPEL OF SRI RAMAKRISHNA

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE LAST DAYS OF MRINALINI DEVI AND SRI AUROBINDO’S LETTER TO HIS FATHER-IN-LAW

THE LAST DAYS OF MRINALINI DEVI AND SRI AUROBINDO’S LETTER TO HIS FATHER-IN-LAW This is the last of the posts we have published ...