Friday 13 May 2022

Can one have the vision of God every day?

Another day I had been to the Holy Mother's place, when a monk came and prostrated before her. He said: "Mother, why does the mind become so restless every now and then? Why can't I constantly meditate on you? Many worthless thoughts disturb my mind. Useless things we can easily obtain if we simply want them. Shall I never realize the Lord? Mother, please tell me how I can attain peace. Nowadays seldom have I visions. What is the use of this life if I cannot realize Him? It is better to die than to lead such a worthless life".

Mother: “What are you talking of, my child? Do not even think of such things. Can one have the vision of God every day? Sri Ramakrishna used to say: "Does an angler catch a big carp every day the moment he sits with his rod? Arranging everything about him, he sits with the rod and concentrates. Once in a while a big carp swallows the hook. Many a time he is disappointed. Don't relax the practices for that reason. Do more Japa”.

Yogin-Ma: “Yes, that is true. The Name is identical with Brahman. Even if the mind be not concentrated at the outset, you will succeed ultimately”.

Monk: “Please tell me, Mother, how many times I should repeat the Name. That may help me to get concentration”.

Mother: “Ten thousand times, or even twenty thousand times or as many times as you can”.

Monk: “One day, Mother, I was kneeling in the shrine and weeping, when I suddenly saw you standing by my side. You said to me: "What do you want?" "I want your grace, Mother", - I replied: "as you bestowed it on king Suratha”. Then I added: "No, Mother, that was done by you as Durga. I do not care for that form. I want to see you as you are at present". With a smile you disappeared. My mind became all the more restless. Now nothing satisfies me. Often I think: "If I cannot realize Her, then what is the use of this life?"”

Mother: “Why are you so restless, my child? Why don't you stick on to what you have got? Always remember: "I have at least a Mother, if none else". Do you remember those words of Sri Ramakrishna? He said he would reveal himself to all that take shelter under him, reveal himself at least on their last day. He will draw all unto Him”.

(“The Gospel of the Holy Mother”, Part 6: “Recorded by Sarayubala Devi, Udbodhan Office, Calcutta”, 23rd August, 1918)

No comments:

Post a Comment

THE LAST DAYS OF MRINALINI DEVI AND SRI AUROBINDO’S LETTER TO HIS FATHER-IN-LAW

THE LAST DAYS OF MRINALINI DEVI AND SRI AUROBINDO’S LETTER TO HIS FATHER-IN-LAW This is the last of the posts we have published ...